Number of seen pages

Pages

05/02/2011

Sliced Bread versus Bread

Sliced
I think you guess that in Ireland, Sliced Bread easily wins the battle against Bread… you can’t imagine the large range of sliced breads you can get in supermarkets over here. Different sizes, different tastes, different brands, different recipes … Irish like eating toasts (with butter, cheese or beans…) at breakfast or during the day; so Anglo-Saxon, isn’t it? (I didn’t want to use “British” for some reasons!)
However, they have a kind of Irish bread called “Soda Bread”. It’s hard to describe it; Wikipedia will do better than me: Soda bread are a variety of quicke bread traditionally used in a variety of cuisines in which bread soda(otherwise known as sodium bicarbonate or baking soda) is used as a raising agent rather than the more common yeast. The ingredients of traditional soda bread are flour, bread soda, salt, and buttermilk. I don’t really like this bread which tastes a bit strange in my opinion! Irish usually eat it with soup.
You can get some baguettes in supermarkets but needless to say, Irish don’t have the know-how of baking bread!!!
Do you understand better why I’m missing French bread????

6 comments:

  1. Would you like to have some (french / real) bread binge when you'll come back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do!!!!! French bread I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got it ;) - Except the fact that i need to see you between your come back and your internship...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not sure I will appreciate this kind of bread...
    that's certainly teh reason I always take there an english breakfast :-)
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Blandine: I'm coming back for a few days by the end of the month.
    @Phil : you definitely made a better choice! But we have to be tolerant: everyone has different tastes ;)

    ReplyDelete