Number of seen pages

Pages

22/03/2011

"Like", one of the favourite word of the Irish

What's the craic, boy ? Oh my god, Will ye stop messing, like ?
which means: What's up? Oh my god, will you stop that behaviour ?

Irish-style speaking... Some rules and idiomatic expressions to fake being an Irish:

- Say "like" as much as you can. You have to put it at least at the end of each sentence!

- Say "Thanks a million" instead of "thanks very much"

- Use  "Good craic". Be careful bacause if you say it to an American or an English, they could understand you are looking for drugs! Actually, this gaelic word doesn't have a clear translation. It means having a good time, having fun with your friends, listening music and drinking. In French, it's "amusement, divertissement, fun". if you want to know where there is a good party, you can ask "where is the craic?"; If someone asks you "How was your night?", you can answer "it was good craic".

- Say "chuck it down" if you definitely agree with your friends. It's a slang expression especially used in Cork. In French, we would say "carrément!".

- Say "lovely" for everything!
 (even if it's not lovely)

- Say "Jesus Christ" for anything you're in shocked. In French, we would say "c'est pas vrai??!!"
e.g : " - I went to a houseparty last night and I walked home around 9 a.m.
          - Jesus Christ! You're f***** crazy man !!"
Each time I hear an Irish saying it, it makes me smile because if I would say it in France, people would stare at me very weirdly).



3 comments: